Hartley Wintney Parish Council

Churches and War Memorials

St Mary's Church.  - The Church on the Hill.

Set on a hill half a mile to the south of the present village, St Mary’s is all that remains of the original settlement of Hartley Wintney. Displaced as the parish church in 1870 it has, as a result, remained unspoiled.

The nave and chancel date from the 13th century, as shown by the medieval wall paintings which have been revealed on the walls. The chancel has a so-called 'leper-window' - traditionally, though doubtfully, said to allow lepers to see the high altar without entering the church. In 1834, the prominent brick transepts were added and the inside was fitted out with the box pews and triple galleries still to be seen today. The flint tower was built in 1842.
Maintenance responsibility for the churchyard  passed to the Parish Council in 1976 and for twenty years it cut the grass on a regular basis but undertook no other works on the site.

St. Mary's Church and churchyard are very special to many people, particularly long time residents of the village, and in the mid nineties it became apparent that although the grass was being cut, other elements of the site were being neglected; path edges had become eroded, shrubs and small trees had become seriously overgrown, views to the South of the site had become lost to undergrowth and invasive trees and the lychgate was in need of urgent restoration.
In 1994 the lychgate was professionally restored and later its adjoining stile by volunteer, Neil Hatt.

Two years later, a combination of volunteer and contract resources restored the path, re-built its fence and removed invasive growth to restore the views to the South of the site.

The work is ongoing and subject to the availability of funding and other resources but to date over £10,000.00 has been spent in carrying out these works; this has been augmented by the dedicated work of volunteers who have undertaken over 500 work days on the site.

Buried in St Mary's churchyard is Alan Francis Brooke, 1st Viscount Alanbrooke who was a senior commander He was the Chief of the Imperial General Staff during WWII and became a Field Marshal in 1944. Brooke was the foremost military advisor to Winston Churchill and is regarded as one of the chief architects of the Allies' victory in 1945.

William Lethaby, famous architect and architectural historian is also buried here, on the south side of the churchyard.

Lieutenant-General  Henry “Hangman” Hawley, the infamous butcher at the Battle of Culloden is buried in the family vault beneath the Church.

Please see the Parish Council events calendar for details of open days at St Mary's during the summer.

St Mary's was replaced in 1870 by St John's Church, which is still the current Church of England Parish Church and is located on the central common on the Fleet Road. For further details on St John's please visit www.stjohnshw.co.uk

Hartley Wintney War Memorial

The War Memorial which commemorates those lost during World War 1 and World War 2 is located near St Johns Church. The memorial was originally located near the Victoria Hall but was moved to its current location in 1964.

All Souls Churchyard, Hartfordbridge

Built in 1876 to serve the Elvetham Estate workers living in this area, the church itself has been closed for over 25 years. In 1999 Hartley Wintney Parochial Church Council transferred maintenance responsibility for the churchyard at All Souls to the Parish Council.  Voluntary resources undertook this role for many years and had recently carried out levelling work to a number of graves where subsidence had occurred.

The first task facing the Parish Council was to remove improve the condition of the site by removing the accumulated soil, grass cuttings and other debris which over many years had been deposited on the North side of the churchyard; to do this it would be necessary to 'lift' the lower limbs of a number of Yew trees which were reaching ground level and preventing access not only to the material to be removed but also to a number of graves.

Work on the £1,500.00 project began immediately Hart District Council granted consent for the works to the trees and was completed within the six day programme by Mark Hazell with assistance from staff provided by Premier Ground & Garden Maintenance Services; funding was provided from the Parish Council churchyard & burial ground maintenance budget.

Church of Saint Thomas More

Situated in Mildmay Terrace near the cricket green is the Catholic Church of St. Thomas, entered via oak gates carved by David Sexton.

The building looks rather plain from the outside. Inside you are welcomed by a colourful mural created in 1961 by Prue Theobalds which depicts our patron, St. Thomas More. (Prue's family were parishioners in Fleet at the time. She is now highly regarded as one of Britain's most distinguished illustrators of children's books, particularly of teddy bears, her great love.) A large crucifix, given by the Heys family, hangs over the inside door.

Fourteen beautiful ceramic plaques, by EO Hevezi, in memory of Anne Marguerita Godsland, show the Way of the Cross. High up behind the altar you will see two wooden statues (one of Our Lady, the other St. Thomas More) carved by Dom Vincent from Farnborough Abbey. Hassocks, painstakingly created in cross-stitch by the late Margaret Elliot, display doves of peace. All of these, like the gates, were gifts from members of the congregation over the years. Two beautiful brass candlesticks, given by Hartley Wintney Parish Council to commemorate the Millennium, grace  the  altar.

Information courtesy of www.hartleywintney-catholics.org.uk

Located on the high street are two further places of worship, Hartley Wintney Baptist Church and Hartley Wintney Methodist Church, pictured below.

St Marys, Elvetham & War Memorial

St Mary's at Elvetham was built in 1840 by Henry Roberts at a cost of £4000. It was designed to resemble a twelfth century Norman church. Samuel Sanders Teulon, a notable architect of the 19th century added the flying buttresses and the angels at the four corners.The War memorial was restored for the Parish Council in 1995.

Access to the Church by private road or public footpath.

Website design by Digital Design Agency

Copyright Hartley Wintney Parish Council | Parish Office, Appleton Hall, West Green Road, Hartley Wintney. Hook, Hampshire. RG27 8RQ